inconceivable eccentricities!

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Back in the ATL

Well, as I forshadowed, I am now back in Atlanta. Permanently. I guess I should explain how and why I got to this point. So.... here I go:

First - I was ill-prepared for what awaited me down in Daphne. When I was training over in Alpharetta I was told certain things which turned out to either be untrue, or only half-true. I was told I would be heavily dependent on the GPS unit, but in fact my main job was to be nailing markers on poles. After doing this I would then 'GPS' the pole (or meter, or pad).

Second - Since I had very little experience dealing with the GPS unit I was confused about many things pertaining to said unit (a story in itself... the unit I was to be using was in the repair shop or malfunctioning the entire time I was in "training"). So, I then find out that the work I was to be doing was only a fraction of the actual "mapping". There is another guy who follows behind me and he gets to do most of the interesting and technical stuff (along with a nice boost in pay). I was told I would be trained in mapping very quickly, but once I got to Alabama I realized that this was not to be the case for quite some time.

Third - The "work" I was to do was extremely monotonous and very boring to boot. If I had even the slightest clue that it would be like that I would never have packed up my stuff and moved to Alabama in the first place. The work hardly challenged me mentally... indeed a teenager could have done it with ease. I have spent all this time and money on a degree and it would be a darn shame to overlook it.

As you can see I had no choice in the matter. I had to leave before I got in too deep. Luckily, after talking with Jim (one of the company co-founders) we were both in agreement that this was the right decision. In fact, he even offered to keep me in mind should a position open up in their offices. It's nice to know that I might have a choice somewhere down the road.

So, it's back to the drawing board again... but this time I won't be so hasty in picking a job. I have had a couple people contact me today concerning job openings and I fully intend on doing my research before making any decisions. Again, I would ask that if you know of anyone who is hiring in an office setting (in GEORGIA - NOT ALABAMA ^_^) then please let me know. Thanks guys and gals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home