inconceivable eccentricities!

Thursday, September 29, 2005

So, you want to go to the movies?

If so, I'm the guy you need to talk to. Last night (well, actually, this morning... as I didn't get home until 3:30) I saw this and this over at the Colonial 18 Theatres. Both shows were free as always. Anyways, here are some unbiased impressions of both films.

Oliver Twist is a movie adapted from the famous novel by Charles Dickens. I had not seen any films previously on the topic, so aside from reading the book many, many years ago this was the first time I was exposed to it. I wasn't expecting a whole lot (even though the film is directed by Roman Polanski, who also directed one of my favorite movies The Pianist). I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised. Ben Kingsley did a phenomenal job as Fagin. Clocking in at a little over two hours it was lengthy enough to tell the story without dragging on too much. Now, as to whether or not it stays true to the novel is not for me to say. However, I am not one to criticize about such things. So, if you like Dickens, or like me you are merely fascinated with the culture of London during this time period, then I'd suggest going to see it. It's at least worth a rental once it hits the shelf.

Serenity was the reason why I went out (and stayed out so late) last night. Apparently, this movie is adapted from a sci-fi series called FireFly. I've never heard of it, but it has a rather large cult following. Again, I was pleasantly surprised. While it won't win any awards for its acting/story/visuals/etc it was still an enjoyable film. The humor they throw in is pretty random at times, but other then that it was quite entertaining. If you are not a fan of sci-fi then I would suggest you pass on it. You won't be missing anything special. Whereas anyone could go see Lord of the Rings or Star Wars and enjoy themselves I don't think the same thing could be said for this movie. However, for the cult following and sci-fi fans in general they will get their money's worth.


In other news, I have a couple of job interviews tomorrow. I'm pretty excited. One is for a Business Analyst position at a major office supply company and the other is a Paralegal position at a staffing/legal firm. Wish me luck.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you liked Serenity, the Firefly series airs on SciFi every Friday evening at 7.

And good luck on your interviews. :O)

12:43 PM

 
Blogger gabe said...

A friend of mine made me watch the Firefly series (he had the DVDs). It was alright and definitely had its moments. It's by Joss Whedon, if you know the name (he's got a pretty big fan club). I would've thought you'd've needed to know a good bit from the show, but I guess not (I've yet to see the movie).

Also, good luck on your interviews!

2:38 PM

 
Blogger none said...

Best to you on your interviews! Did you ever remember what it was you wanted to ask me? Love - Nic

9:44 AM

 
Blogger none said...

How'd the interviews go? Love - Nic

7:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home